Many people across the world suffer from dark skin on their underarms, which is sometimes referred to as acanthosis nigricans, a medical condition that results in darkening of the skin. Dark underarms can affect people of all ages and skin types, and many people find it embarrassing.
Although dark underarms can be caused by a variety of different things, most often, this skin condition is caused by a resistance to insulin, which eventually leads to diabetes. It can also be the result of hormonal disorders, such as ovarian cysts and underactive thyroids.
Sometimes the cause is as simple as the method you use to remove your armpit hair or the deodorant you use. The stubble present under your skin after shaving could give your armpits a dark appearance. Your deodorant could also be the culprit. Certain ingredients in some deodorants may react negatively with your skin, causing it to darken. In these cases, switching up your routine could eliminate your dark underarms.
No matter what the cause of your dark underarms may be, there is hope.
There are countless amounts of proven natural remedies that can help lighten your underarms. Here are a few:
1. Bleach & lemon.
- Lemon juice is a great way to naturally bleach things. It has many anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties.
- To use this remedy, apply some lemon juice to your underarms before showering, then rinse it off.
2. Use potatoes.
- Like lemons, potatoes are also good natural bleaching agents.
- To use this method, rub a slice of raw potato on your underarms for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off with water.
- If you use this method twice a day, you can expect to see results in seven days.
- Sometimes, dead skin can accumulate under your arms, and that can cause them to appear dark.
- Apply a mixture of lemon juice and sugar to your underarms and wait 5-10 minutes.
- Then, gently rub your armpits with your fingers in a circular motion for a few minutes before rinsing off.
4. Use baking soda.
- Baking soda can also be used to make a scrub for your underarms.
- Simply mix some baking soda and water together to form a paste.
- Then, rub the paste on your underarms and gently scrub.
5. Use coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is great for your skin, and your armpits are no exception.
- It is a great skin lightener because of its high vitamin E content.
- Simply apply some coconut to your underarms before showering, and then rinse it off with soap and water.
Dark underarms can be a frustrating cosmetic issue, but with a little bit of effort, those annoying dark spots may eventually disappear.