If you are suffering from constipation and do not want to take any medication for it, here are some home remedies you can try. These will not only help you treat it but also regularise your stools.Constipation is a problem of the digestive system. It gives rise to occasional bowel movement, incomplete evacuation of bowel, decrease in the volume or weight of the bowel. Not only is constipation a problem in itself.
It is also the cause of many problems which occur due to it as toxins find their way into the bloodstream throughout the body. Some of the diseases caused due to it are appendicitis, rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, cataract, and cancer.
It is a common gastrointestinal disorder when there is no or decreased frequency of passing stools. You may face difficulty in defecating accompanied with dry and hard stools. Your day to day lifestyle, food habits, stress can lead to constipation. Fewer intakes of fluids and fibrous foods also are some cases. This makes the blood toxic and leads to a weakened immune system.Constipation is a condition in which bowel movement is less than three times in a week
Although these natural remedies are safe, you should always ask your physician for approval before trying any of them.
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Bloated stomach and gas
- Lesser frequency of passing stools
- Dry and hard stools
- Bad breath
- Coated tongue
- Loss of appetite
- Dark circles under the eyes
What is Constipation ?
It is basically a disturbance in the normal functioning of the digestive tract. Constipation is a condition in which bowel movement is less than three times in a week. In constipation, the bowel movements become less frequent and stool becomes dry, hard, small in size and painful to pass. Constipation leaves the sufferer with the sense of incomplete evacuation.
7 Best Home Remedies for Treating Constipation
Either dried or ripe, figs are packed with fiber and act as a great natural laxative.
How to use:
- For relief from constipation, boil a few figs in a glass of milk, drink this mixture at night before bed.
- Make sure the mixture is warm when you drink it.
- Using a whole fruit for this purpose is much better as compared to syrups that are available commercially.
Honey is highly beneficial in relieving constipation as it acts as a mild laxative. You can have it daily to prevent as well as treat constipation.
- Consume two teaspoons of honey three times a day.
- You can also mix one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Soak some raisins in water for a night and have them the next morning on an empty stomach.
- Raisins are rich in fiber as well as they also act as laxatives.
- Raisins are especially useful during pregnancy as they don’t have any side effects.
- You can also eat grapes to avoid constipation.
4. Prune Juice:
- Prune juice is another home remedy to get fast relief from constipation.
- Prune is highly laxative and rich in fiber, therefore, it helps to relieve constipation quickly.
- Have a glass of prune juice in the morning and drink another glass at night to get instant relief from constipation.
- To give your infant relief from constipation, fill your baby’s feeding bottle with water, leaving 3/4th of it empty.
- Now, put prune juice to fill the remaining space in the bottle.
- This is one of the good home remedies for infant constipation.
- The most simple and effective home remedy for curing constipation is to have at least 6 to 8 glasses of water.
- This is beneficial for digesting and dissolving the nutrients
6. Homemade Herbal Mixture:
- Mix together few flax seeds, 2-3 sunflower seeds, few sesame seeds, and some almonds.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- A tablespoon of this mixture daily will help in getting relief from constipation.
7. Bael Fruit:
- Bael fruit is regarded as one of the best remedies for curing constipation as it is an excellent laxative and cleans up the intestine completely.
- Its regular usage will throw away the digestion problems. Only 60 grams of bael fruit is sufficient for an adult.
Homeopathic Remedies for Constipation in Adults
Here are the mostly used homeopathic remedies for curing constipation in adults.
- Argentum Nitricum : This remedy is useful if constipation occurs due to the overuse of laxatives.
- Bryonia : It is helpful to treat constipation, caused due to indigestion.
- Nux Vomica : It is helpful in treating spasmodic constipation, bloating as well as tummy cramps.
- Vaccinum Vitis Idaea : It is useful in treating insufficient mucous secretion of the intestine in adults as well as adolescents.
- Lycopodium : It is useful to treat constipation in infants and children.
Other homeopathic remedies for constipation are Baryta carbonica, Collinsonia, Graphites, Silicea, Hepar sulphur, and Chelidonium.