Breast cancer becomes one of the most common cancer types in women. Namely, it is believed that about 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed by the end of this year in America only, and over 40,450 women will die from it. Moreover, 1 in 8 women in the United States will develop this cancer type during the lifetime.
However, these numbers should just remind us that we need to be informed about this issue and be able to prevent it actively. In order to be able to prevent or treat cancer, if diagnosed in its early stages, you need to know the symptoms and signs.
Recognizing the following symptoms is of high importance, as you may be able to save your life:
Unexplained Back Pain
- Unfortunately, the pain in the back is a common issue, and 8 out of 10 people will experience it during their life.
- However, it may also be a symptom of the formation of breast cancer tumors.
- In this case, you may feel pressure in the spine or ribs, or in your upper back, feeling like it is coming from your bones.
- Moreover, this may also indicate that the tumor has spread to your spine.
A prolonged cough or hoarseness
- The primary cancer is the one that starts in one area. In the case, some cancer cells break away from it and move on to another body part and there create another cancer, known as secondary cancer.
- Thus, hoarseness and prolonged cough that won’t subside may indicate that cancer has spread to the lungs.
- This happens in 60-70% of women who become terminally ill from this type f cancer.
- In most cases, this also leads to a dry cough and shortness of breath.
A New Mole / Change in an Existing Mole
- Moles are often linked to an increased skin cancer risk, but at the same time, they may be a sign of breast cancer.
- A study was conducted on 89, 902 women aged from 40- 65 years and researchers examined their medical years over a period of 18 years.
- They documented the number of moles they had. During this research, 5,956 of the women developed breast cancer.
- Researchers found that participants with most moles had a 13% higher breast cancer risk.
- Therefore, if you notice a new mole or a change in your old one, you should consult your doctor.
- This is another common sign on the case of breast cancer, but it also occurs before diagnosis, and cannot be treated by resting or sleeping.
- Fatigue in these cases is severe and is linked to distress.
- This kind of fatigue is often accompanied by depression sleep disturbances and pain.
- According to researchers, it appears as a result of the chemical imbalance in the body caused by cancer.
Changes in the Bladder or Bowels
- This type of cancer may lead to hormonal changes which dry out the urethra and make it hard to control the bladder, a condition known as incontinence.
- The symptoms of incontinence are sudden or urgent needs to urinate, longer urination than usually, leaking urine while laughing, sneezing, exercising, or coughing, sudden and urgent needs to urinate, and urination that takes longer than usual.
In case you experience these signs, you should consult your doctor in order to specify the reason.